Friday, February 2, 2007

My other job

Now that my employer has joyously committed to taking one day off a month, I have the honor of being a voluteer assistant gardener at the San Francisco Botanical Garden at Strybing Arboretum.
In other words, I weed... ;)
But I love weeding. It's very meditative and I don't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to. And it's not as easy as you might think...
For example, here is the weed... it's called Ranunculus californicus... (not the one you might be growing in your garden at home)
















Then there's this pretty little bugger... Geranium robertianum...















And here is the valuable specimen, that is being choked out by the invasive species (and wild strawberry too) This is Geranium x oxonianum, these both are true Geraniums, not the ones we all call Geraniums, which are actually Pelargoniums...














And this is what I have to go through, finding the good guys and pulling out the bad ones....















Not so easy is it???


A gorgeous blue bamboo, Bambusa chungii. The part where I work is called the Asian Temperate Region...









'









This is called a Chysamthemum Tree, Edgeworthia chrysantha ...
This tree hasn't bloomed in 3 years, now it gorgeous and smells amazing! the leaves follow the blooms, just like the next tree...















Magnolia x soulangiana...














This is an area where I cleared out all the strawberry, ivy and weeds...














Last but not least, here's a pic from school... I can now operate this tractor! Woot!

1 comment:

chuck b. said...

By the time you finish your stint at the Botanical Garden, you will have pulled out 1 ton of that Robert's Geranium. I like the way it smells this time of year. Kinda peppery.